What does Skill Development deal with?
Ans: The main task of the Skill Development Department is to conduct the Skill Development Training Programs in the UT as per the policies and Programs extended by the Union and UT Government systemically through a network of public and private institutes with a proper mechanism of training and certification. It comprises of two major sectors viz. Polytechnics and Industrial Training Institutes (ITI). The training activities of the Department are mainly centered in the Polytechnics and the ITIs which can be grouped as under:
- Technical Training through the Polytechnics, leading to the award of Diploma in Engineering/Non-Engineering fields, shelling out middle rung technocrats.
- Craftsman Training through the ITIs, leading to the award of Certificate in Craftsmanship, shelling out educated skilled workers.
- Apprenticeship Training in the field, leading to the award of Certificate in Apprenticeship, shelling out both educated and un-educated skilled workers.
- Various short-term training courses both in Polytechnics, ITIs, and registered Vocational Training Providers, providing skilled workers at a larger scale.
What are the courses offered in the Skill Development Department?
Ans: The Skill Development Department provides 03 years Diploma courses through Polytechnics and fields like Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering etc. The 06 months 1 year 2 year and short term certificate courses in various trades are through ITIs under various schemes like CTS (NCVT/SCVT), Short Term course, courses under PMKVY 3.0 etc.
How to get admission in Polytechnics & ITIs?
For Polytechnics 3-year Diploma courses are offered in various Engineering/Technology and Non-Engineering Courses under formal Training Program. The entry-level qualification is 10th Pass with 35% marks. The admissions to the Diploma Courses shall be made through JKBOTE from the Session 2021-22 which before the initiation of the reforms in the department was through JKBOPEE. The examinations are conducted and certification is awarded by the Board of Technical Education, J&K. The courses are approved by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). For more information visit the website of J&K Board of Technical Education at www.jksbotelive.com
For ITIs the desirous candidates who have attained the age of 14 years as on June of Admission year are eligible for CTS/ short term courses (except certain trades where the age limit is 18 and above). However, there is no upper age limit for applying for certificate courses in ITIs.
How to apply?
Ans: The Admission notices in different schemes of ITIs are issued in the month of January and June of the Admission year. The candidates who are interested in pursuing in certificate courses can apply online on URL: itiadmissions.jkdsd.org/ offline in case of short term course and submit the requisite information as per the admission notice.
What to do once selected?
Ans: Once selected, the short listed eligible trainees shall have to approach the concerned ITIs along with all the necessary documents for Admissions. The eligible candidates shall have to deposit the course fees at the time of admission. Upon scrutinization of documents by the concerned ITI Admission committee. The candidates shall be admitted in the particular trade/course.
What are the Carrier opportunities?
Ans: Besides the various Government vacancies that are listed time to time, the courses in Polytechnics/ITIs are conducted keeping in view the prevalent industry norms. In order to cater the emerging skill needs of the industry the new courses are introduced regularly to cater the needs.
Is there any uniform or dress code in ITIs/polytechnics?
Ans: The trainees admitted in the ITIs and polytechnics have to adhere the dress codes as per the training manual ITI/Polytechnics. Use of flashy /casual clothes in the campus is prohibited.
Are there any scholar ships available for the trainees of ITI/Polytechnics?
Ans: The trainees are eligible for availing the scholarships under various schemes available in the National Scholarship Portal/State Scholarship Portal besides the trainees can avail the scholarship of the Department of labour and employment etc through offline mode as well.
- AICTE (Pragati for girl students and Saksham for physically challenged students@ 50,000/= per annum for those whose annual income is 8 lacs or lower (for more information visit the website of AICTE or follow the link https://www.aicte-pragati-saksham-gov.in
- Prime Minister special scholarship scheme was implemented on 19th August 2010 with a motto to increase the scope of employment so that youth living in J&K could get a job in public and private sectors based on their capabilities and eligibility. The government of India provides this scholarship every year for the 10+2 passed students of J&K for graduate courses in Engineering/Medical courses outside J&K and for the pass out candidates of Polytechnics under lateral entry scheme for Engineering courses. For more information visit the website of AICTE or follow the link https://www.ugi.ac.in/blog/prime-minister-special-scholarship-scheme-pmsss-jammu-kashmir-2020-21/ .
What is the main objective of Community Development through Polytechnics?
CDTP scheme envisages providing non-formal, short term, employment-oriented skill development programs, through AICTE approved Polytechnics, to various sections of the community, particularly the rural, unorganized & disadvantaged sections of the society, to enable them to obtain gainful self/wage employment. For more information follow the link http://www.nittrchd.ac.in>rural>ruralactivity
Establishment of Centre for Invention, Innovation, Incubation and Training (CIIIT) at Govt. Boys Polytechnic Jammu and Baramulla.
Under the Academia-Industry partnership, Govt. of J&K in colooobaration with TATA Technologies Ltd. has established two Centers for Innovation, Invention, Incubation, and Training (CIIIT) at Govt. Polytechnic Boys Jammu and Govt. Polytechnic Baramulla for providing training in latest technologies to the students, unemployed youth and industry people under which at each center 09 labs has been established and 18 courses (Skill Oriented) of 03 monthsduration in automobile and manufacturing sectors are offered with intake capacity of 2880 seats, so as to make them industry-ready professionals and for creating entrepreneurship. The eligibility for the courses is M. Tech, B. Tech, Polytechnic Diploma & ITI pass-outs. For admission visit the website of CIIIT Baramulla at www.ciiitbaramulla.in and CIIIT Jammu at www.ciiitjammu.in